Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 1996 18:07:47 +0530
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   HP PC Lan+ support for -current "ed" driver

Hi,

I've placed the following files comprising a `diff' to the -current
"ed" driver sources that add support for the HP PC LAN Plus series
of ISA ethernet cards in the incoming directory on `ftp.freebsd.org'.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/
-rwxr-xr-x  1 201  1  26719 Jul  8 12:21 HP-PCLan-Plus-1.101.diff
-rwxr-xr-x  1 201  1   4362 Jul  8 12:22 HP-PCLan-Plus.README

Some excerpts from the README file:

HP PCLAN+ README
================

This diff adds support for the HP PC Lan+ cards (model numbers: 27247B
and 27252A) in FreeBSD's `ed' driver.  The diff has been placed on:

        ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/HP-PCLan-Plus-1.101.diff

This diff is wrt -current as of 8th July 1996.

Some information about the card
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The HP PCLan+ cards are based on the popular NSDP8390, with an ASIC core
controlling access to the NIC.  The card supports PIO data transfers and
also has a memory-mapped I/O mode where the data register gets aliased into
memory space at even addresses.  This allows a `rep movsl' instruction to
copy out data from card ram speedily.

Performance of the cards is good --- I'm able to saturate ethernet bandwidth
running on a P-90 ISA system.  The performance difference between the PIO
and MIO modes is not significant on my system, so I prefer the PIO modes as
it lessens the chance of a conflict with other hardware on the machine.

The driver has been stable for the past few months.  I've tested it out
against a number of variations of the HP cards; the AUI, and Cheapernet
(but not the TP) interfaces have been tested.  Most of the testing has
been using the PIO transfer mode supported by the card.  Memory mapped
I/O mode has been used much less.

Credits
=======

I would like to thank Russell Nelson for making freely available
his CRYNWR packet collection.  I also would like to thank Gerald Talbott,
for pointing me in the right direction when I got stuck.

(Semi-)Legal Stuff

*) I'm submitting these mods as my individual effort.  This work had no
   connection with my employer Hewlett-Packard at all.

*) I'm submitting this code ``AS IS'' and cannot vouchsafe ANYTHING about
   its useability or fitness for any purpose.

   (#include <bsd_style_copyright>)

Joseph Koshy
HP International Software Operation, Bangalore, India.
Email: <koshy@india.hp.com>, Telnet: 847-1020, Phone: +91-80-2251554 ext 211
These are my personal opinions.