Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:47:16 -0400
From:      "Scott Newton" <iamlegend@mindspring.com>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: freebsd-mobile Digest, Vol 64, Issue 2 -  Message 3

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:11:56 -0700
From: "Mike Eriksen" <mike_eriksen@hotmail.com>
Subject: Inspiron 8100
To: freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org

I am a novice to this all and just recently loaded FreeBSD 5.2.1.  It is up
and running except that I have a black border around my screen.  I have the
nvidia GeForce driver and was wondering what anyone else has done to correct
this issue.  I have seen a few remedies, but I am still not sure how to
implement them.  Thank you for your thoughts.
~Mike~

------------------------------

You'll need to add the following to your kernel and recompile:
(note that you should be able to load these as modules as well)

options SC_PIXEL_MODE
options VESA

Once you have recompiled at a command prompt type:

 vidcontrol -i mode |grep T

This will give you a list of modes that are supported by your video card.

You can change your modes to the various ones listed by typing the following
command:

vidcontrol MODE

where MODE equals one of the modes that was listed by the previous command.
If none of these suit your fancy, try the following:

vidcontrol -g 100x37 VESA_800x600

You can learn more by typing

Man vidcontrol

To make these changes permanent add one of the following to your
/etc/rc.conf file:

allscreens_flags="MODE" or allscreens_flags="-g 100x37 VESA_800x600"

Hope this helps!