Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:32:59 -0700
From:      Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: idprio

>> The client already has an option to control the priority:
> [ ... ]
>> -p  Priority (-20=aggressive, 20=passive) [Integer]  Optional
>> default = 20
>> range from -20 to 20
>
> You may also want to consider "idleprio".

Speaking of idprio... I liked the good old days (3.x) when you didn't have
to be root to use the command.  Given that idprio can be used to raise
priorities as well as lower them, I can see the point of having some
restrictions, but shouldn't it be possible to structure the code such that a
non-root user can lower but not raise the priority on a process they own?
I'll even volunteer to do the work unless there's some good reason
(technical or policy-wise) why it can't be done.

-- Ian