Date:              Wed, 26 May 99 20:00:24 EDT
From:      Marius <MBKING0@VM.SC.EDU>
To:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:        can't make depend on a fresh install

O.k.  I am stumped.

      As of today I have a fresh install of 3.1-Release.  I have a flub up and
did not know how to fix my system, so I had to reinstall.  (Hey, I did have
backups of all my important files.)  Anyway, I have fresh install, but I can't
seem to compile a new kernel.  Heck, I can't even compile GENERIC.
      I do the /usr/sbin/config, which goes fine... but when I go to
the compile directory and say "make depend" I get this:

perl5 ../../kern/makedevops.pl -c ../../kern/device_if.m
re.pm did not return a
true value at /usr/libdata/perl/5.00502/File/Basename.pm line 127.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/libdata/perl/5.00502/File/Basename.pm
line 127."

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ../../kern/makedevops.pl line 50.

*** Error  code 2

Stop.

    No matter what I try to compile, I get the same error.  I have looked at
the lines mentioned above, but did not find those lines of Perl code to be very
enlightening. (I am only just learning perl code now.)  Can anybody give me a
clue?