Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:49:42 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
Cc:        Chris Federico <cfederico@natca.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatability

* Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net> [000710 19:58] wrote:

> > I stumbled across your website and was intrigued by your
> > OS.  However, one thing I couldn't find was any mention of
> > compatability with software designed for other OS's.
> > Basically, I'm hoping I can rid myself of Win98 and still
> > run all of my win98 software.  Can I?
> >

> No.  You would have to run Unix software.  Now there are a lot of programs
> that have been ported to unix, like Netscape, Doom, Quake, and so forth, but
> you would have to reinstall them all.  And some programs, such as Microsoft
> Outlook Express are simply not available for FreeBSD.  (As they say about
> White Castle Hamburgers, "There's just nothing else like it.")  I guess what
> I am trying to say is "upgrading" to Freebsd is not like upgrading from
> win95 to win98 or anything like that.

You're correct for the most part, however there exists a Windows emulator
called Wine that may be able to emulate certain Windows applications:

http://www.winehq.com/

Your best bet is to perform a backup of your windows system and try
for a dual boot system at first, if you get Wine up and running you
can access your Windows/Dos disk and try to run applications in Wine.

-Alfred