Date:           Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:22:06 +0000
From:      "Cleto Pescia" <cleto@e-link.ch>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:     FreeBSD doesn't recognize RTL8029 PCI Ethernet Card

Dear Sirs,

I've just installed FreeBSD 2.1.0 on the my new server, and I've run into
a problem with the Ethernet network card: FreeBSD seems to be find something
on the PCI bus while probing it, but then it can't assign it a passing
driver. Here is what appears on screen during the boot:

pci0:11: vendor=0x10ec, device=0x8029, class=network (ethernet)
  [no driver assigned] map(10): io(e000)

The card uses a Realtek Semi-Conductor Co., Ltd. RTL8029 chipset, and it
usually works as NE2000-compatible card -- at least I could make it work
this way under Win 95 (but that's not a great reference <g>). When I use
the diagnostics diskette that came with the card, I can see the following
configuration:

I/O Base    = E000H
Interrupt   = 10
Full-duplex = Enabled

This is the HW configuration I'm using:
- Mainboard ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 with a Pentium-100 CPU and 512KB cache
- 32MB RAM (60ns)
- Adaptec AHA-2940 PCI SCSI-2 adapter (BIOS v. 1.21)
- IBM DORS-32160 S82C 2GB SCSI hard-disk drive
- Pioneer DR-124X 1.01 4X SCSI CD-ROM drive
- FDD controller (on the mainboard)
- 2x serial, 1x parallel ports (on the mainboard)

Apart the network card, everything seems to be working just fine!
As an interim solution, I switched to an old NE2000-compatible ISA card and
that works perfectly as ed0.

I've been using Linux for several years now, and this is the first time I
install FreeBSD on a PC, and I'm really impressed by it. I'll use this
machine as an Internet gateway server for my visually-impaired customers and
I think I've made the right decision regarding the OS!

Best Regards,
Cleto Pescia
Eurisco Information Systems