Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 20:14:36 +0200
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   outdated installation/compatibility information in the handbook

I hope this is the right place to send this to...  (I'm not subscribed
to this list so please Cc answers to me.)

 Two things:  The compatibility information in the handbook (and
everywhere else apparently) only lists the Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B
nic to go with the fxp driver (which from reading the lists i know is
the one that appears to work best).  Now it seems the Pro/100B is no
longer available at least around here, so i went searching the list
archives...  And now the box has a EtherExpress Pro/100+ Management
Adapter (soon to become two actually), which has a 82559 chipset which
is software compatible with the 82557/8 that was on the Pro/100B
(an addition seems to be wake-on-lan).  And btw on the 3.2R 4-CD box
it even lists a EtherExpress Pro/100 (no B!), from the archived mail
i have read i now know that used an entire different chipset for which
there in fact is no driver...

 And the other thing:  I just noticed the install-from-CD docs in
the handbook still talk about the install.bat, i'm pretty sure that
won't work for 3.x as it used the fbsdboot.exe dos program that
only knows how to boot aout kernels?  (i don't have that CD here now
so i can't check if it even still _is_ on there.)

 Well, so there you have my $.02 for today... :)

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
(remove dot foo from address to reply)