Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2006 21:40:09 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk-fbsd@mnet-mail.de>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: segfault from HTML renderer when build "WITH_MOZILLA=firefox" /	firefox 1.5.0.1

Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can build "WITH_MOZILLA=firefox" from ports just fine, but at runtime
> when I open a HTML file, Eclipse aborts
> with: /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /home/hunter/gwk/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.1.2/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/67/1/.cp/libswt-mozilla-gtk-3139.so: Undefined symbol "NS_InitEmbedding"
>
> Setting MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME in /usr/local/bin/eclipse back to the regular
> mozilla is of not much help, now I
> get: /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /home/hunter/gwk/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.1.2/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/68/1/.cp/libswt-mozilla-gtk-3139.so: Undefined symbol "NS_StringContainerInit2"
>
> I've finally rebuilt without "WITH_MOZILLA=xxx", and now it works (using
> regular mozilla).
>
> I think we should get a message at build time if there is a missing
> external.  Why are we not getting that?  Do we, maybe, forget to rebuild
> libswt-mozilla-gtk-3139.so at all?

It's a known issue, but I'm pretty sure this is not the problem. I
haven't found the time to track this down (I've been mostly researching
the cairo issue), but perhaps it could be attributed to the following
(from http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#browserlinux):

Q: What do I need to run the SWT Browser inside Eclipse on Linux/GTK or
Linux/Motif?
A: You need one of the following:

* Mozilla version 1.4 GTK2 - Mozilla 1.6 GTK2 can be used with SWT 3.0.
* Mozilla version 1.4 GTK2 - Mozilla 1.7.8 GTK2 can be used with SWT 3.1.
* Firefox can be used with SWT 3.1 (Linux only), provided that it has
been compiled with linkable Gecko libraries. It is important to note
that Firefox downloads from mozilla.org currently do not satisfy this
criteria, but Firefox installations that are included in major Linux
distributions typically do. Attempting to use a statically-linked
Firefox install will display the error message "No more handles
[NS_InitEmbedding...error -2147221164]".

If you could find out if we can overcome this by building firefox
differently, that would be great.

Cheers,

Panagiotis