Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:48:35 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Markku Kokko <webmaster@maximillian.nu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG

> From: Markku Kokko <webmaster@maximillian.nu>
> Date: 17 Oct 2002 20:27:27 +0200
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hi everyone!
>
> I have a rather annoying trouble here.
>
> I can not mount any CD's at all, the machine just hangs.
> Hard reset is the only solution I've found so far.
> As you can see from my dmesg it gives some errors at the end.
>
> I saw somewhere about a bug in the acd driver, but that seems to be when
> you mount a drive and it gives the "acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout
> - resetting" error.
> But this is at boot time already, no CD in the drive.
> This is the only device on that IDE controller.

I'm pretty sure that there is no reliable fix for this on 4.6.2. The
problem was not (hopefully) finally fixed until about a month ago. If
you upgrade to 4.7-Release or -Stable, it SHOULD be better.

Alternatively you might well get by with updating the drivers from
cvs. Be sure to get those from the stable branch, RELENG_4. Get all of
the files there that have been  updated in 2 months or less and odds
are pretty good. But this is always a bit risky as some dependencies
may have changed between 4.6.2 and now. It's probably easier to go to
4.7.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)