Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 07:13:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Plamen Petkov <plamendp@techno-link.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ICQJava

This is a problem for me too. I installed 3rd-party ICQ software! And it
works much better!

Try this:
http://www.portup.com/~gyandl/icq/

Or for more info on the icq protocol:
http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d95-mih/icq/ .

ta-da!

Spidey

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Plamen Petkov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I d/l JDK 1.1.5 and ICQJava (0.98b... maybe...installed at home... at
> least it is "the preview only)..

Did that too.

> It starts fine but trying to connect again and again w/o regular success
> (sometimes connects, sometime not). Well, I thought that mirabilis
> server is out of order or it's "network status" is out... but when I
> rebooted in W95 and run ICQ it get's ready almost immediately... i.e.
> get connected just in a seconds... pfu... "lucky you", I said... and
> reboot in FreeBSD... nope... can't connect...

Exactly the same problem. I had 3 icq UIN at the end!!!

> So, I made my part: reboot many times (W95-BSD) to ensure that the
> problem is not somewhere outside my machine...

No, it is not. It's ICQ that s**ks

> I must say again: connecting is UNsuccesfull ... but NOT at ALL...
> sometimes I get lucky :-) I even succeed to register my existing ICQ
> number and got a test msg from a frend...
>
> Any help?

See the above URL...

> Oh.. one more thing... when I shut ICQ down it doesn't exit to the shell
> prompt... never... proven indefinitely...(I leave it at its "exiting"
> stage all the night!).... until I "close/destroy" the xterm  or just
> press ^C to terminate the process (or kill -TERM it)

I didn't have this problem however.

> FreeBSD 2.2.6 (sio patched by Greg's sio "sio not found" patch for some
> weird motherboards)
> JDK 1.1.5 (d/l from www.freebsd.org/java).. pkg_add-ed errorless
> ICQJava (d/l from mirabilis) ...starting without any error messages...
> i.e. concider successfull
> 64 MB RAM
>
> --
> Plamen D. Petkov
>
> plamendp@techno-link.com
> ICQ# 2214327
> http://bgbook.hypermart.net

Spidey

How 'bout a little ride through your own world?
http://www.JSP.UMontreal.CA/~beaupran/