Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:43:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jmslivko@hotmail.com>, wash@iconnect.co.ke, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Machine not being able to go on the Internet

Brian Reichert wrote to Jonathan M. Slivko:

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 02:49:32PM -0400, Jonathan M. Slivko wrote:
> > What happens is there is total silence on the network from my machine, not
> > one packet even.
>
> Is there a network card configured in rc.conf?
>
> What does 'ifconfig -a' show?
>
> 'netstat -rn'?
>
> We're groping blind, here...

Good suggestions...  I'll expand a bit for Jonathan.

Jonathan;

As you've said this is a "server", you are probably using static
addresses.  Ensure that your addresses are properly configured in rc.conf,
and that subnetting/routing TO the machine (or local network segment) is
configured correctly.  Also ensure that your subnet masks are set
correctly on your local machine.  If you are not up on BSD network
administration, routing, subnets or IP in general, this process will
probably not go very smoothly ;-)

When you say "nothing on the network", I assume you are putting another
machine's network card into promiscuous mode (i.e., "packet sniffing"), on
the same collision domain?  Recall that if your machines are plugged into
a switch, they will NOT share the collision domain for broadcast packets,
and one machine's traffic will not be visible to other machines on the
LAN, unless the packets are destined for the promiscuous host.  I may be
grasping at straws, but there is very little else to get ahold of given
your problem description.  I'm hoping for a lucky shot, here ;-)

If public addresses don't get you anywhere, assign the NIC a private IP
address from an RFC 1918 subnet that isn't in use on your LAN.  (I.e,
10.1.0.1), and assign another machine on the same Ethernet segment (this
IS an Ethernet we're talking about, right?) an address in the same subnet
(10.1.0.2), and try your tests using those addresses.

Check cabling (going to switch/router/hub? use standard UTP... going to
another NIC? make sure you use crossover).  Swap in another nic.  Check
dmesg output and make sure that your card is probed correctly.  Test basic
TCP/IP on the machine itself (ping the local IP address(es), and
127.0.0.1).

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2