Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 00:05:00 -0500
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        Gerry Marcelo <germar@pair.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel fails compile

On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 10:02:33PM -0600, Gerry Marcelo wrote:
> Greetings:
> Trying to compile my first kernel...made it past config, but I got a failure
> at compile.
>
> Looking for an expert's help....
>
> OS is 2.2.8
> Machine is 486 DX50, 2 gig IDE Maxtor HD, 20 megs of memory
> All ISA board with no PCI or EISA, a multi-io board with com 1 as serial
> mouse com 2 as internal modem.  LPT 1 only, with a printer.
>
> Error message during compile....
>
> I don't know where to pick up with this, but I'll pick up close to where the
> error seems to appear:
>
> ../../pci/wd82371.c swapkernel.c ioconf.c param.c vnode_if.c config.c
> ../../pci/if_de.c:181: '#include' expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
> mkdep: compile failed
> ***error code 1

You've included some ethernet device drivers in your config file (device de0,
fxp0, etc.--you probably don't need all of these), but you commented out the
"pseudo-device ether" line, which is required for any kind of ethernet support
(see /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT). Try uncommenting that line and give it
another try.

Chris