Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:31:28 +0000
From:      falbu@amnesty.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Redirecting STDERR from within the script

Hello gurus,

I was wondering if there's a way you can redirect stderr
from within the shell script that is running.

For example, I have a shell script that I want to debug on a different
terminal. At a certain point in the script I want to start redirecting the

stderr to /dev/ttyv1 and after that turn on debugging (set -x).

In my particular scenario it is _not_ possible to run the script from the
begining with the stderr redirected, like:
myscript 2>/dev/ttyv1

Many thanks,
Florentin Albu

Client-Server Systems Manager
falbu@amnesty.org
         Amnesty International, International Secretariat
                     visit us at   http://www.amnesty.org

Be Realistic! Plan for a Miracle!

ONE click to stamp out torture.
                                   http://www.stoptorture.org