Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 17:25:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Doug Denault <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Saint Leynx <saint@max.drigon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Error making kernel in BSD 4.3

On my system that is in  sys/compile/,kernel>/modules/.

From UPDATING:

20010725:
        The ed driver has been updated.  It now allows mii attachments,
        which means that you must include the miibus in your kernel if
        you use the ed driver.

does your kernel conf comment out

device          miibus          # MII bus support

If thats okay try

  # cd /usr/src/sys/modules
  # make cleandir

Or equivalent and build the kernel again