Date:      Wed, 02 Nov 2005 05:30:15 -0800
From:      ray@redshift.com
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>,Achim Patzner <ap@bnc.net>, Michael VInce <mv@roq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: SATA: RAID 5 controller recommendations

At 07:29 AM 11/2/2005 -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
| At 05:47 AM 02/11/2005, Achim Patzner wrote:
| >>For SATA I have always been getting the Dell 750s (now 850s) which
| >>use the 'aac'
| >>Adaptec AdvancedRAID Controller driver, do 'man aac' for more details.
| >
| >Did you ever have to replace a failed drive? You might try it, just
| >to see if you're still happy afterwards.
|
| Thats one thing I must say about 3ware that I really like.  I have
| been using the cards for years now and have not had issues when it
| came to swapping out  dead drives.  I havent had the opportunity to
| do it with the ARECA yet in production to see how it works, only as a test.
|
|          ---Mike

Mike,

  Here is a link to the mysql benchmarks I was talking about.  If you can run
them using the 3ware raid and the other raid, I would be interested to see what
sort of results you get.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

http://www.redshift.com/~ray/mysql_bench

  These are my personal benchmarks I use here, but I added a file to try to walk
you through stuff and in case you want to share them with anyone else, etc.  If
you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Take care!

Ray