Date:      Fri,  7 Aug 1998 02:15:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pthreads woes revisited.

: From: John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>

: Amancio Hasty wrote:
: > Curious, whats missing from the kernel for us to have kernel threads?

: The last problem I was having was with the user_ldt being restored
: on context switches. ...patches I sent...

: I'd suggest that it is too close to the release of 3.0 to try to get
: that stuff in, except possibly for the syscalls.

Ouch!  Like some (many?) others, in my world the whole value
of 3.0 is wrapt in SMP and kernel threads.  Nothing else counts,
comparatively speaking.

: It is better to get
: 3.0 to a stable state to limit the flak from people who don't (won't)
: understand why 2.2.8 will come out after 3.0.

How about delaying the release long enough to include the significant
added value, thereby reducing the gap between 2.2.8 and 3.0, thereby
reducing the flak from the quarter you posit, as well as the flak from
my own kindred spirits?