Date:      31 Mar 1998 02:12:09 +0300
From:      Antti Kaipila <anttik@iki.fi>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Subject:   Re: support for Joliet CD's under FreeBSD?

Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> writes:

> It seems that Microsoft now has a new "standard" (surprise!) for CD's that
> will contain long filenames under Win95, called Joliet.

	What else is new? M$ does it again.

> I would like to have support both for *making* and *reading* Joliet CD's.
> I suppose, then, that this involves changes to both the mkisofs port (or
> maybe a new "mkjolietfs" port?) as well as the kernel.

	Atleast mkisofs 1.12b3 and cdrecord 1.6a13 together can do
CD's that use Joliet extensions. Really neat feature is to use both,
RR and Joliet extesions on one cd. That way the same CD will work on
any system that supports RR and also in M$ environments. I think
Joliet only supprts 64 character long filenames, but hey! It's better
than 8+3 :-)

	The port of these two programs are out of date, so you'll have
to grab the latest versions via ftp from
ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/alpha/ Aah.. and *wink*
*wink* to the maintainers of these ports, Jean-Marc Zucconi and
Mr. Anonymous. ;-)

	It would be nice to have Joliet support in kernel too
though. I think Linux can handle Joliet CD's, but I'm not sure about
FreeBSD, since I don't have too many Joliet CD's laying around here.
Any comments?

--
  Antti Kaipila <anttik@iki.fi>