Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:38:39 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        dave@gregory.dyn.ml.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports: must required ports always be rebuilt?

In the last episode (Aug 18), dave@gregory.dyn.ml.org said:
> Hi,
>
> Ok, so I've been spoiled by FreeBSD's great port system...
>
> More and more lately I seem to come across ports that insist on
> having required package (ie. perl) living in the ports directory (ie.
> /usr/ports/lang/perl5/work/perl5.005_02/ ) rather than their real home
> (ie. /usr/local/bin/perl ). The result is that if I make clean one port
> that requires perl (and subsequently make clean perl), the next port that
> needs perl insists on trying to rebuild it. Ok, so this isn't a huge deal
> because it's fairly trivial to work around, but I don't recall this
> happening as frequently in the past. Any reason I'm seeing this more
> often? Recent examples are MySQL and P5-DBI.

You might want to make sure that your /usr/ports/lang/perl5 and your
/usr/share/mk subdirectories are both up-to-date.  The bsd.port.mk file
has a perl version hardcoded in it, and if it doesn't find that exact
version of perl, it goes and builds the port.  I can imagine that if
the two versions are different, then bsd.port.mk would insist on
reinstalling perl every time.

I wonder if bsd.port.mk could somehow query
${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5/Makefile for the correct version.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com