Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 2004 00:03:37 +0300
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@mail.ru>
To:        David Gerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cheap NAS using FreeBSD - practical considerations?

David Gerard wrote:
> Let's say that, as fine as NetApps are, I can't afford their prices. So I
> set up a FreeBSD box with a whole lot of disk attached and use that as
> network-attached storage, serving files by NFS, with gigabit ethernet.
>
> Setting up such a box is trivially easy. But what are the practical
> considerations? Have any of you done this, or know anyone who has? Does
> serving stay at wire speed? Recommendations for motherboards or
> peripherals?

I built an entry-level file server which has 3*200Gb + 1*160Gb ATA
Drives. The motherboard is Abit BE6-II with built-in HPT370 IDE
controller, Celeron 950GHz and 384Mb RAM. I don't use HPT Software RAID,
ccd or vinum. The net throughput is 10Mbytes/s. 6-7 people often watch
movies simultaneously over Samba and don't even feel they're not alone.
IMHO, it's very, very cost-effective.

I'd put it this way: if there are some OS'es which are good for file
serving, FreeBSD is among them.

Best wishes,
Andrew P.