Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 15:30:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        "J. Weatherbee - Senior Systems Architect" <jamil@acroal.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OS Ports

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, J. Weatherbee - Senior Systems Architect wrote:
> Wouldn't porting -stable first be a better project, after all you want a
> quality product and that is what stable is.  If it was me I would start
> there, cvsup to RELENG_22 and take a crack at it.

Well, it would be easier, but then comes the problem of moving the port to
current once it works.  That would probably be as bad a doing the port in
the first place.  From what I understand, FreeBSD 1.1 was ported to SPARC
way back, but it never got merged back in to the development tree.  I'm
guessing it was because of something like this.  I don't want to pour
blood, sweat, and tears into this port, and then never have it integrated
into current.  That would almost be worse than never starting in the first
place.

I've still got a question about maintaining a separate tree that I haven't
found a reasonable answer to:

Say I grab current, and stay synched with it, but I start making changes
to my local tree.  As time goes on, I make more and more changes, while my
tree still tracks current.  At some point, aren't my changes going to
cause conflicts that make it a losing battle to keep my own tree?  Say in
file foo.c George changes lines 10-20 in the main tree, and I change lines
15-20. When I sync my tree with freebsd.org, there will be a conflict.  If
I manually resolve this conflict, will I have to deal with it repeatedly
every time I sync with the main tree?

Even if I only have to resolve the conflict once, tracking current can't
be automatic, can it?  It seems to me that I'd have to manually resolve
conflicts.

Jason

P.S.  Please excuse what is likely incorrect terminology for tree
synchronization and conflict resolution.  What are the proper terms?

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]