Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:59:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Grigori Goronzy <greg@chown.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "atacontrol enclosure" does not work

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Grigori Goronzy wrote:

> I tried to use the "enclosure" command of atacontrol, but it doesn't
> work. I'd like to use it, especially to check the temperature of the
> harddisk. It's an IBM DeskStar 120GXP drive with 80GB. For Linux there
> is a tool called "hddtemp" and with this tool it works as expected with
> this drive.

The enclosure command is designed for talking to Promise enclosures only.
If you want to communicate with your disks, you'll have to write something
that sends raw ATA commands to retrieve that information. Needless to say
the command is vendor-specific.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org