Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 08:50:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ian Struble <ian@broken.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.0-RELEASE -> -STABLE question

Hi,

I am in a bit of a jam.  I can not seem to properly update the boot
blocks to get /boot/loader to be the default bootstrap file.  And to make
it even better I am doing this for someone else via ssh so when I fail I
get to call someone else on the phone to explicitely bootstrap
'/boot/loader', so someone else gets to share in my mistakes :^)

But back to the problem.  First thing I tried doing was trace through
tools/tools/upgrade/doupgrade.sh and try to build a kernel and updrate
the disklabel and boot block just how it was done there:
	# make kernel with a '-B'
	make -B depends; make -B ; make -B install
	# update the boot blocks(yes the system is using da0 not wd0)
	disklabel -B da0

That didn't seem to do anything other than install the new kernel.  I
know this because now that someone manually booted with machine with
'/boot/loader', ps, w and top are able to read and display proc
information again.  Since that first attempt did not work I tried being
more precise with disklabel:
	disklabel -B da0 -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2

Still no luck.  The last time I moved a system from a.out to elf was a
long time ago and it was all relatively painless.  I guess the fact that
those machines were my work and home workstations didn't hurt but even so
I didn't think that it was going to be that much of a pain.  Does anyone
have any ideas as to what I forgot?  Or any suggestions for something
else that I should do or check.  Anything and everything would be greatly
appreciated at this point.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

oh.  The drive is fully dedicated.