Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 10:10:39 +1000
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, sthaug@nethelp.no, dannyman@sasquatch.dannyland.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Fund

This 'how to spend the money' thing is getting into twisty paths.

I suggest:

#1 lets not figure out how to spend what we don't have

#2 tied money is ALWAYS less useful than 'spend as you wish'

#3 is not called PAYbsd. Please don't lets make second-class netizens.

So I suggest that current not-for-profit trustees be just that: trusted.
-to spend with discretion on relevant activity. If it benefits people who pay,
it should benefit everybody else as well or it doesn't meet tax-free
requirements. Spending $$$ to pay people to finish off significant work, or
to buy h/w to make it possible, thats cool. The wider benefit is plain.

I'll shell my spare $$$ for some SMP work, and I don't even have an SMP box
right now. But I'll be mightily pissed off if this winds up being another
commercial venture. Making a priviledged access FTP area, or 'I saw it first'
subscription bugfixes is really not it.

Don't print buttons and badges unless the printing and distribution costs are
covered by some other money, or are massively outweighed by the donation coming
in. Its increadibly easy to eat up 30% or more of donated money in 'overheads'
which we don't need. It really pisses me off when I give to charity and find
that somebody makes 10% and on even a mil thats a damn big 'thankyou'..

Badges? we don't NEED no steenking BODGES!

So can we stop this thread, and leave somebody Like Jordan to hassle a web
engine with SSL and pgp online, and then just give the money, and go back
to sleep?

-George

PS those dudes running a massively loosely coupled image distribution thingy
   should be given a big rouse. That is the kind of kick-ass promo FreeBSD
   is about.

--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm@dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072