Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:46:46 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
To:        Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Static files

> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:59:43 -0500
> From: Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Most likely inappropriate subject line, but are there parts of the
> current -stable tree that are now NOT being worked on?  Like the "base"
> FreeBSD system as a whole, no ports (or the port tree itself) but just a
> bare OS?  Even though I've been following -stable, I gather things are
> still being debugged .. Which leads me to the real question, how often
> should one update from sources?  I'm sure there are many a variable in
> that, but if something is working fine, why upgrade unless you happen to
> need the latest fix for a multi-frama-snickafoo-filter or whatever?

Almost every significant portion of FreeBSD has someone working on it
and changes are continual. You can subscribe to the cvs-all list and
watch for changes you consider significant.

I try to update my base system about once a week. Others do this more
often and many cvsup daily. Others do it only occasionally for a
specific modification.

A lot depends on the time it takes to do the update. For my laptop it
builds in about 3 hours, but only takes 15 minutes to install, so I
could really do it every day, if I wanted to. Many newer systems with
fast disks and multiple processors can significantly reduce these
times.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)