Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 17:19:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lucent Orinoco Gold PCCard?

There is also a new access point (either just available or "RSN") from
Zyxel (316); it is a combination of a 310 (cable modem/bridged DSL/PPPOE
router) and single-card bridged access point.

I'm using one at work (overkill since I'm not using the router) as a
bridged access point; it works just fine in that role (plug the ethernet
into the "LAN" (10/100!) port and leave the "WAN" port empty).

Stock it only comes with 40 bit but maybe could be used with a gold
(or equivalent) card (haven't tried it, though).  The card it comes
with is OEM'd by someone (Melco?) and does have an antenna jack.

At home I'm currently using a Lucent card in a FBSD machine as a base; IBSS
create does work; it gets a hybrid between BSS and ad-hoc mode (at least
the client connects in infrastructure mode).  In this mode the client is
transmitting a lot, though; makes the laptop power supply get pretty
warm.

-- Pete