Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 14:17:01 +0930 (CST)
From:      Matthew Thyer <matt@camtech.net.au>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NewPCM and Quake :)

I am having a few problems with newpcm.

I often play a whole bunch of Sesame Street AVIs to keep the 1 and 3
year olds happy while I read email.

I usually play them like so (straight from the CD-ROM):

foreach blah ( /cdrom/letters/tv/*.avi )
xanim -Zr +Ze +Av`mixer | grep pcm | cut -d: -f2` $blah >& /dev/null
end

This worked fine with the old sound drivers but now I find that I
have to put in a 1 second sleep after xanim or the sound will usually
stop completely after the first AVI.

I am also now getting the following messages on the console:

"dsp sync"

I get 4 of these at the start of each invocation of xanim and then
I get 1 at the end of each invocation of xanim.

When the sound has stopped completely I have to reboot to get it back.

My -CURRENT is about 3 days old.  (9/9/99 my time which is UTC +9.5 hours)

>>> elf make world started on Thu Sep  9 09:29:09 CST 1999
>>> elf make world completed on Thu Sep  9 11:01:23 CST 1999

I have a PnP SB16 and "device pcm0" in my kernel (along with "controller
pnp0") of course.

The most recently updated file in /usr/src/sys/dev/pcm for me is channel.c
at version 1.3 if thats usefull.

--
| Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au |