Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:00:57 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        phk@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: DEVFS and GEOM mandatorification timeline.

phk@freebsd.org wrote:
> In message <20030121092851.A27172@citusc.usc.edu>, Kris Kennaway writes:
> >On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:58:12PM +0100, phk@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:
> >>=20
> >> I have uploaded two patchfiles:
> >>=20
> >> 	http://phk.freebsd.dk/patch/small.patch
> >> 	   Removes just the options from sys/conf
> >>=20
> >> 	http://phk.freebsd.dk/patch/big.patch
> >> 	   unifdef -UNODEVFS -UNO_GEOM
> >> 	   Removes roughly 2800 lines of code.
> >
> >To the best of your knowledge, there are no remaining serious bugs or
> >missing functionality with GEOM (like the disklabel editing problems
> >found before 5.0, etc)?
>
> There is one errata point (can't rewrite BSD boot code on a disk
> which is in use) which I am testing a patch for.
>
> I know of no bugs at present.

BTW; assuming these are taken care of, do we really gain anything by
waiting so long?  Personally, I'd rather get it over and done with sooner
rather than later.  What does waiting another month and a half buy us?  The
handful folks who dont like it now are not going to start liking it by
March 1st :-(.  Frankly I'd rather have an extra month focussed on this
code to shake out any remaining quirks and make sure that we have all the
bases covered and that we actually deal with any reasons why folks might be
using NO_GEOM and not letting us know.  It would give us an extra month to
solve those before the next release/branch/whatever.

Cheers,
-Peter