Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:43:28 -0500
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Sergei Vyshenski <svysh@pn.sinp.msu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PREFIX of Apache

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 07:34:03PM +0400, Sergei Vyshenski wrote:

>if ! PREFIX=$(expr $0 : "\(/.*\)/etc/rc\.d/$(basename $0)\$"); then
>    echo "$0: Cannot determine the PREFIX" >&2
>    exit 1
>fi
>

>This naturally dies with "Cannot determine the PREFIX".
>Had to substitute these 4 lines with

There is a reason for this apparent wackage. It is to force you to
execute the file using a full pathname. Whether this is misguided or not
is another question. Personally, I agree with you that it is a big PITA.

>I am writing to this list because Andrey A. Chernov <ache@freebsd.org>
>(who happens to maintain Apache13 port) has never been noticed answering
>or at least paying a bit of attention to any question about his artwork.

Have you submitted a PR with a patch? That's the way to get things done
with ports, because then there is a documented request, it's in the
tracking system, and there is an audit trail.

Andrey responds to PRs, even if he may not always respond to personal
email. As a maintainer myself, I know that I will be more inclined, if
I'm busy, to handle a probem expressed as a PR than one sent via private
email. "Oh, look, a PR" ==> "This needs to get looked at."

--
AlanE
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST