Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:20:04 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Stephen Harper <sharper@iowatelecom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a J2SE implementation for NetBSD?

--B4IIlcmfBL/1gGOG

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:33:51PM -0600, Stephen Harper wrote:
> I am looking for in omplmentation of J2SE for Net BSD. Does anyone know=
=20
> if it exists?

I believe NetBSD uses essentially the same Java ports as FreeBSD does,
so your asking this question here is perhaps less futile than it first
appears.  However, you'll find that asking about NetBSD packages on a
NetBSD list will be much more rewarding in the long run.

Anyway, the answer is that while there is are several native Java
ports for FreeBSD, I can't find equivalents in the official NetBSD
pkgsrc. There's this:

   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-java/2003/07/06/0000.html

and this:

   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2000/05/02/0001.html

Otherwise there are several linux J2SE packages -- this would seem to
be the indicated way to get a Java implementation up and running in a
reasonable amount of time on NetBSD.

If you want to try porting over the FreeBSD stuff:

See http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml for some
approved versions of JRE 1.3.1 and JDK 1.3.1.  These are for IA32
architecture only.  You might be able to run them under emulation on
NetBSD.

Otherwise, there are ports of JDK-1.4.1 available as source, which you
will have to compile yourself, after jumping through all of the
required hoops to get the source code.  The downloading instructions
you need to follow are in the port Makefile:

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/java/jdk14/

As I said, no idea if this will compile correctly on NetBSD, plus
(Catch 22) you will need a working JDK-1.4.1 in order to compile
JDK-1.4.1

And finally, there is this:

    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/lang/wonka/README.html

which I quite honestly had never heard of before I found it on the
NetBSD site a few minutes ago and which I have no idea if it's any
good or not.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20