Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 08:41:36 -0600
From:      "David Martin" <dmartin@sdln.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   2.2.7 errors

Hello,

It seems that every file that root touches on my
freebsd 2.2.7 machine inherit a line full of U's.

This is very frustrating, especially when trying to
install programs such as perl or apache because it
sticks the U's in front of the #!/bin/sh.  The
problem also appears in ordinary files.  For instance,
after adding myself to the wheel group in /etc/group
it decided to put the U's in front of wheel.  This
of course screwed everything up and doing a ls -al of
/ showed that the files belonged to root UUUUUUUwheel.
This is easy to fix, as long as it's a normal file, just
pico and remove the U's.  However when doing the perl
install it put's the U's in front of #!/bin/sh and then
the install program can't find the shell so it aborts.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?  I've installed
freebsd 2.2.7 on several machines and have
this problem on each.  I'm going to go to 3.0 just
to see if the problem goes away.  I do know that it
didn't happen under 2.2.6.

By the way, each machine has a basic freebsd install
without x.  The only addon programs are pine and
tcp_wrappers.

I didn't really know what to search for under freebsd's
search engine, so if somebody's already answered a
question similar to this please point me to the answer.

thanks for your help.

David