Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:11:06 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <andy@geek4food.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, David Murphy <drjolt@redbrick.dcu.ie>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Voxware is toast. Get used to it. (Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?)

Your message dated: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:25:45 PST
>> 	I can't speak for the relative quality of 4.0 versus 3.0, but
>> I'll take your word for it.  However, if you're going to compare 4.0
>> to 3.4, then I think a perfect counter-example is the message that
>> got this whole thread started -- voxware.
>
>I don't understand where voxware comes into this.  As many people have
>already noted (repeatedly), voxware was NOT removed from 4.0, it's
>purely a 5.0 issue.

Yes, but, as was pointed out on the thread that this TFH seems to have erupted
from (in -multimedia) for some of us, it's getting pretty difficult to use
voxware on 4.x.

And some of us (primarily those with AWE hardware wavetable cards) would
like to continue using it, as it provides significant functionality for
which there is no replacement available (as yet).

However, on 4.x, the AWE support no longer works, because the necessary 'pnp'
command in 'userconfig' to prod the "magic" (e.g. hidden) AWE registers has
been ripped out[1].

Furthermore, some of us with integrated Vibra16 chipsets on the mobo find that
these are no longer usable with voxware[2], thus forcing us to decide between
voxware/AWE/3.x and pcm/4.x.

This is a particularly gnarly choice if your box with said integrated Vibra16
is SMP, you run NFS and wish to use Linux emulation etc., as all these things
are improving much more rapidly in 4.x than they are in 3.x...

Cheers,

AS

[1] Actually, I don't fully understand why this happened either - it seemed
	like a very nice feature to be able to force some miscreant Plug'n'Pray
	device into using a known, "safe" configuration to me.

[2] Apparently, this is expected behaviour, solution is to use 'pcm' instead.