Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:32:45 -0500
From:      Anthony Volodkin <anthonyv@brainlink.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   strange squid/md issue

Hi,

I am running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE and squid 2.4.STABLE6.  In order to
avoid squid using my harddisks, I've created a memory filesystem and
I've made squid use that md mount as it's swap space.  This works fine,
however, after several days of operation, squid locks up.  I am then not
able to kill it in any possible way (not -9, not squid -k shutdown,
etc).  Top says that squid is in the state 'inode' or 'biord' (the state
remains constant, but it may be different each time squid dies).  The
only way to shutdown squid at this point, is to reboot the machine (i
dont like doing this frequently).  Finally, I've encountered difficulty
manipulating files in the md device when this lockup occurs.  I tried
deleting some files in one of the squid's cache dirs (rm
cache_dir/00/00/* for example) and rm locked up as well.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? What steps can I take to debug
this?

Regards,
Anthony Volodkin