Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 00:38:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   What device to use when burning ATAPI CD-R/RW?

Did not see this posting appear on the mailing lists.  It may have been
eaten by some mailer configuration errors I've been experiencing.  So I
will post it again.

***

Thanks to all who responded to my recent post about cdrecord and ATAPI
burners.  In summary, the cdrecord port itself does support ATAPI burners,
but there is currently no mechanism in FreeBSD to pass the ATAPI commands
that cdrecord generates, through to the device. (this would require a
SCSI-to-ATAPI bridge similar to the "SCSI emulation" that Linux has.)

However, you can use the wormcontrol program to burn ATAPI disks.  Look in
the /usr/share/examples/atapi directory.

But I have a question (of course).  What /dev device file do I use to
access the CD-R?  According to the wormcontrol(8) man page, I should use
"/dev/rworm0" device, but when I try that it gives me "device not
configured".  Should i use /dev/acd0a?  acd0c?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>                           | PGP: Your
*NEW* WWW HomePage: http://more.at/dburr/ ICQ #16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.