Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 11:14:36 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike DeGraw-Bertsch <mbertsch@radioactivedata.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Article on wireless networking on FreeBSD

If memory serves me right, Mike DeGraw-Bertsch wrote:

> With some relatively minor changes, I think it'd be a useful part of the
> handbook.  It's online at
> http://www.radioactivedata.org/wireless_freebsd.html.  I'd appreciate
> any thoughts, comments, critiques, or criticism.

Hi Mike--

I agree that this would be useful to have...whether as a part of the
Handbook or a separate article is not clear to me yet.  The Handbook
*is* lacking any coverage at all on 802.11* networking.

High-level comments:

In general I liked the article...there's a lot of good information in
here.  The biggest criticism I have about it is that it's not clear at
the outset what the subject of the article is.  In other words, is it
about 802.11* networks on FreeBSD in general, or setting up a FreeBSD
machine to act as a BS, or...???...  An introduction might help.

You mentioned that many commercial APs don't do IPsec or IPv6.  That's
true, but the Aironet 352 AP I have doesn't need to.  It's just a
link-layer bridge...I routinely run IPv6 over it, no problem.  I
suspect most of the APs that don't have aspirations of being routers
work the same way.

I don't necessarily agree with the "stick with 40-bit WEP cards and save
your money" comment.  Last time I bought Aironet PCMCIA cards, I thought
that 128-bit was the same price as 40-bit anyways.  (Granted, I was *at*
Cisco at the time.)

"Cool.  How do I set it up?"  It isn't obvious here whether this is for
a laptop/workstation or for a BS.  It might be better to more
explicitly separate the setup for a typical client machine with the
setup needed for a BS.  I'd imagine more people have to do the former
than the latter.

"Wireless configuration":  I thought the frequency setting was ignored
in BSS mode?  I might be wrong on this.  Also, I put most of the
functionality of your script into /etc/start_if.an0 (for example) so
that I don't need to touch pccard.conf.  /etc/rc.network and /etc/
pccard_ether call the startup script for each interface automatically,
if needed.

"Client Configuration":  I was confused here.  What was the part I'd
been reading for the last few pages before this?

"Hey, is this secure?":  Might be nice to say here that there is no
single technique to prevent hijacking of a network or eavesdropping,
but a combination of mechanisms can be effective (e.g. WEP + IPsec).

Nice article...hope these comments are of some help.  Thanks for putting
it up!

Bruce.