Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 11:21:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      John K <john@volvo.se>
To:        "Mark L. Holloway" <mlholloway@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows NT

Hi
I=B4m quite new to Unix, and i think you may not notice the difference betw=
een
different OS:es untill you try them. For example, when i sometimes run=20
W95 i tend to get extremely frustrated because in almost every session
computer freezes or displays an error message. Now since i=B4ve been lucky =
try FreeBSD (i actually feel lucky to run it. it=B4s not just some BS i wri=
te)
i *know* that it is possible to have a computer that runs like a clock.
my personal best uptime is (sofar) over 30 days, which i know is=B4t too=20
impressive to other users, but comming from the MS world it is! (manual=20
reboot, changing graphic cards :) I also run RedHat 6.0 on another=20
machine and i like it too. I=B4t a tad more "user friendly" than FreeBSD, b=
ut
i actually had it crash two times (but im running the 2.3.0 kernel i=20
believe is a "development version" so it could have something to do with th=
at)

I mainly switched to another Operating sytem, because i was tired of Window=
(NT and W9x)
and wanted to learn more about computers and OS:es, and I=B4m very glad I d=
id
NT is more stable than 9x, but it=B4s still Microsoft, so i felt I was=20
still "limited"=20
It has been a very interesting 6 months running FreeBSD and Linux.

Now i tend to favor FreeBSD for the stability, it may be a little more
troublesom to install software (at first) on a Unix box than a windows=20
machine, but man, once it=B4s running it could litterary run for years.

Good luck, and give FreeBSD a try
i don=B4t think you will regret it ;)

br
John