Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 07:23:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up on LFS

> We were talking about SPIN and Modula-3.  When did the subject change
> to real-time OSs and portable devices?  And there is a vast gulf
> between "more than 0 bytes difference between memory allocated and in
> use" and "leaks like a sieve."  You still haven't provided any support
> for the latter statement in reference to Modula-3's garbage collector.

SPIN purports (on their www pages) to be RT.

Perhaps "leaks" is a bad word, since it implies "unreferenced allocations".

Languages that rely on GC'ing allocations reference the allocations in
the allocator.  They are only unreferenced as far as the program is
concerned.

>From the perspective of a program that believes it is running in its own
virtual machine, however, there is very little difference between memory
referenced by an allocator but not by me and memory that has leaked.  In
either case, until the GC runs, there is a program-observable leak.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.