Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 11:25:24 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Pedram' <pedzs@yahoo.com>, Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>, 'Doug White' <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: lpt0 problems

	[ML]  Anything that isn't GDI will most probably work because
all of them support at least PCL3 which is supported by laserjet driver
in GhostScript.

	It really depends on your needs.  If you print a lot, check out
some printers which have separate toner cartridges if you are on a
budget--the tendency nowadays is to integrate the toner into roller
cartridge which tends to be rather expensive once the toner runs out
(after 2k to 4k pages).

	I have a Samsung which is a cheapo 300dpi LED printer w/pcl3
support and even though it is not very fast nor very high quality, it
does have a separate toner cartridge.

	I can only say the best for the genuine HP articles (4000
series, with and without PostScript), if you can afford it--careful,
integrated toner/roller.  They do, however, manage up to 10k pages
before the toner runs out.

	OTOH, if you can keep your GDI on a windows machine, and it
really can accept PCL jobs, take a look at samba and smbclient--it might
be possible to use your printer in that context.

	/Marino