Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:42:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
To:        Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RealTek-based  Ethernet chipsets

> They claim to have RTL8139 chips set that'll do 100Mbs in a PCI card. This is
> sold under the Skymaster name. Anybody have a clue if they're compatible with
> any of our drivers? The doco on the web site
>
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/cn/NEW/doc/RTL8139-new.htm is an EXE file,
> extracting out into a PDF file. I don't have a DOS box anywhere close by to
> extract it.

I'm pretty sure FreeBSD doesn't support it.  I bought one of these for $20 at
Fry's because I figured it'd be more of a pain to go back and get it, but
it didn't autoconfig.

Don  Becker's group at NASA has a driver for Linux and he has a number
of comments about how this is NOT something to get if you're at all
interested in performance.  I'd say spend the extra $15 and get a
Netgear card which uses the DEC Tulip chipset if you're scrimping or
spend $50 and get an Intel EtherExpress.

        This driver is for boards based on the RTL8129 and RTL8139 PCI ethernet
        chips.

        The author may be reached as becker@CESDIS.gsfc.nasa.gov, or C/O
        Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences
           Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt MD 20771

        Support and updates available at
        http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.html