Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:14:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      Jan Srzednicki <winfried@student.agh.edu.pl>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: background fsck did not create lost+found

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, David Schultz wrote:

> > First two entries clearly correspond to the missing file, which should
> > have been put in /home/lost+found. But, the poroblem is that no lost+found
> > directory was created, while it should (as fsck_ffs(8) says). I guess its
> > a bug, probably in the background fsck code. Still, is there any way to
> > reclaim the file now, besides running strings(1) on the whole partition?
>
> Consider what happens when you remove a large directory tree.
> Thousands of directory entries may be removed, but in the
> softupdates case, the inodes will stick around a bit longer.  The
> same also applies to files that have been intentionally unlinked
> but are still open.  To avoid a syndrome where all these thousands
> of files end up in lost+found after a crash or power failure, fsck
> just removes them on softupdates-enabled filesystems.

Would that be a big problem to allow some fsck option not to erase all
these softupdates-pending inodes, but to put them in lost+found as usual?
The default behaviour is unchanged, yet there is a way to reclaim lost
files.

--
  -- wrzask --= v =-- Winfried --=-- GG# 3838383 --=-- JS500-RIPE --
-- w@dream.vg --- w@303.krakow.pl --===-- http://violent.dream.vg/ ---