Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 16:27:34 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        John Milford <jwm@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should I buy a Cyrix processor?

On Thu, Dec 04, 1997 at 01:02:39PM -0800, John Milford wrote:

> Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>  wrote:
>

> > We had that same problem on Sean Eric Fagan's machine.
> >
> > Until we set the motherboard voltage jumper correctly.
> >
> > After which the problem went away.
>
> 	I think I will have to agree with Terry on this one I have
> 3 of them  (P166+'s) and all of them have performed quite well.  The
> only problem is the M1 has a 486 instruction set, so no rdtsc :(

Well, I was definately running mine according to spec - I even spent
time on the Cyrix tech support line to figure out why my system
was hanging with the Cyrix CPU.. no go. LIke I said though, it might
very well have been a motherboard problem, RAM timing, whatever.
But me or Cyrix couldn't solve the problem, and I was using one of
their "approved motherboards" (which worked fine with an Intel CPU, BTW).

I don't know what the prices are like where you are, but in my neck
of the woods, the AMD chips are about the same price as the Cyrix
ones, and they run a hell of a lot faster :-)  That's why I stand by
my recomendation to buy AMD and not Cyrix -- if you don't want to go for
a PPro 180 (the best deal out there IMHO).

-Mark

P.S. If the prices on the Alphas continue to drop, by the time I buy
my next machine in the spring, I'll not only have the pleasure of not
having to buy an Intel CPU, but also the joy of not buying an x86
CPU!!  8-)

> 				--John

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU