Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:41:13 -0300
From:      Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which OS for notebook

El 05/10/2010 06:51 p.m., Chad Perrin escribió:
> On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 10:12:31PM +0000, Michel Talon wrote:
>>
>> Another thing to consider is the ease of maintaining the software on
>> the machine. My personal opinion is that Ubuntu (more generally Debian)
>> is light years ahead of FreeBSD in this domain.
>
> How is it "light years ahead" of FreeBSD for "the ease of maintaining the
> software on the machine"?  I'm curious about what you mean.

I share Michel Talonīs mind in regards to "the ease of maintaining the
software on the machine" but I find myself inclined to rpm ... thatīs
why I use Mandriva on my notebooks/netbooks.

RPM has come a really long way since itīs inception and has proven to be
an incredible flexible tool to do the task itīs meant to do (I can write
a single .spec file and create as many rpms out of a single tarball as I
see it fits my needs, package granularity they call it... just take a
look at the mandriva repos to see what I mean).

In my personal experience I have found that creating, maintaining and
handling rpm packages is a lot easier than creating ports or keeping the
software up to date using packages.

Best Regards
Gonzalo Nemmi