Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 12:37:36 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Markus_D=F6hr?= <doehrm@aubi.de>
To:        "'John K'" <john@volvo.se>, "Mark L. Holloway" <mlholloway@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Windows NT

> > I'm not trying to praise NT - just wanting some information
> > explaining why people should choose one OS over another.

I can tell you we're running our SAP R/3 installation on NT servers =
with an
average uptime of 60 days and above. Most reboots are caused by updates =
of DB
and/or system, not due to crashes. I didn't believe before that NT is =
as
reliable as it appears.=20

IMHO the main reason, why people choose NT for p. ex. webserver is the
availability of 'ready-to-install' software packages for e-commerce =
applications
etc. Although all the *BSD and *nix are obviously much more stable and =
much
faster, many companies don't have any specific knowledge of programming =
HTML nor
PHP-3. They'd like to have a ready solution for their need, only =
customization
has to be done, no real programming and adaption. They want install on =
monday
and run productive at thursday.=20

It don't believe NT is as realiable as using it for an e-commerce =
solution, the
security holes in IIS are too bad and make me sick believing that it's =
secure.
On the other hand for making NT real secure, you need very much =
knowledge, I
think much more, than on any *nix, because of the proprietary =
binary-only
registry database, the file system rights and the unexpected behaviour =
when
chainging something and the worse: lack of debugging errors.=20

People always think that NT is easier in administration - a real =
fallacy. The
complexity is hidden behind a nice point-and-klick-gui but in the depth =
it's
much more complicated than any other OS I know. If there are problems, =
you
always has to stand up, go to the console and try do find out what's =
goin'
wrong. No remote administration possible without buying expensive =
packages (SMS,
ResourceKit etc.). Try to administer NT over a 28.8 Modem and you =
better drive
50 miles before stopping and starting services remotely. It's worse, =
really
worse.

--
Markus Doehr                    =20