Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:33:12 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mergemaster

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru> types:
> > I wonder if this procedure can be a little bit more automatic. For example,
> > the mergmaster checks if the file have been actually changed, and it was not
> > (from the original file of the prev mergmaster) than it can pretty much
> > install a new
> > version of it, otherwiese - ask the user. The problem is to determine
> > whether it was
> > changed :)
>
> I suggested one way of doing that to the author, but never got a reply
> back. The idea was to add an option that does two things: 1) installs
> new files r/o (but not merged files); 2) if files are installed r/o,
> quietly install the new one.
>
> The act of editing a file should leave it r/w, thus automatically
> tagging new files.
>
> And it wouldn't work for me :-(, so I haven't implemented it.

That doesn't work because you can :w! to write the file and it will
still be r/o.

There are files that I don't want it to touch but I also want to know
something has changed. I had to think the cvsup's refuse file was a
good idea. Creating one for Mergemaster is something else.

I turn off x-windows and do my world updates from a 2nd computer. The
systems are pretty quiet when I do this. That leaves the files not
touched in scrollable window when I run mergemaster. I come along
afterwards and check the changes by hand in a different window and
make them by hand if they are simple. Adding the header information to
your modified file seems to keep it from bothering you in the future.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA