Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 12:39:37 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'fatal trap 12' on boot (smp and up)

On Sunday, 28 June 1998 at 11:09:45 +0930, Matthew Thyer wrote:
> Mike Smith wrote:
>> Matthew Thyer wrote:
>>> So there is no way of booting cleanly using a version of DOS from
>>> Windows 98 (and beyond probably).   Therefore FreeBSD should not
>>> be relying on these vectors being unmodified.
>>
>> I'm sorry, but this conclusion is fallacious.  You might just as easily
>> suggest that, eg. Windows NT should not rely on these vectors being
>> unmodified (it does).
>>
>>> Soon no one will have Windows 95 or earlier so its going to be
>>> pretty hard to install FreeBSD from the CD-ROM.
>>
>> Actually, all you droids will be running Windows 98 on "PC-98" machines
>> (systems certified for Windows 98), all of which are required to
>> support the El Torito CDROM boot standard.  Naturally, the FreeBSD
>> CDROMs are all bootable.
>>
>>> I'm sorry Mike but your answer "boot from a floppy" wont be any
>>> good when everyones floppies have been formatted with Windows 98!
>>
>> Since the formatter doesn't matter a damn, and since the floppy I was
>> referring to is a FreeBSD boot floppy, and since you will still be able
>> to make these floppies under Windows 98 (guess whether *we* bothered to
>> test with the betas), I don't actually see this as a problem except for
>> the hysterical minority that are still unwilling to use any of the
>> various perfectly adequate boot managers already in circulation.
>>
>> Please note that FreeBSD is an _operating_system_, not a Windows
>> application.  If you insist on corrupting your system's private state
>> with another operating system, that's your own problem.
>
> I dont know where you lost track of the logic Mike.

Somewhere in your text?

> I'll type it slower this time:
>
> 1) Win95 restart to MS-DOS results in DOS with modified vectors.
> 2) Win98 restart to MS-DOS results in DOS with modified vectors.
> 3) Win98 "command line only" boot results in DOS with modified vectors.
> 4) It's possible that a boot of a DOS floppy made on future versions
>      of Microsoft products will result in DOS with modified vectors.
>
> Summary) There may be no way of booting cleanly using a versions of
>          DOS from Microsoft in the future.

If you like.  Who cares?  As Mike says, FreeBSD isn't a Microsoft
application.

(reformatting 132 character long line)

> Conclusion) FreeBSD should not be relying on these vectors being
> unmodified.  Particularly when the broken code in question is going
> to become mandatory.

FreeBSD doesn't.  What we're talking about is a standalone boot
program that none of us use anyway.  And the broken code is anything
but mandatory.  Understand what we're trying to tell you: run
Microsoft if you must, but don't try to use it to run FreeBSD.

> When I say "floppies have been formatted with Windows 98" I obviously
> mean "formatted to be bootable." since I was replying to your
> suggestion of "boot from a floppy".  Dont try to cloud the issue by
> stating the obvious "the formatter doesn't matter a damn".

You misunderstand the situation.  A FreeBSD boot diskette is a FreeBSD
boot diskette, not a bootable Microsoft floppy.  Once you copy the
data to it, it knows nothing of Microsoft disk formats.

> Now I know there will still be many ways of installing FreeBSD.
>
> All I'm saying is we should think twice before making "options VM86"
> mandatory while it still contains broken code.

I fail to see the connection.

> Yes the code is broken while it assumes that the vectors are unmodified.

If you boot FreeBSD successfully, whether by the easy way (boot floppy
or CD-ROM) or the problematic way (via a Microsoft platform), you have
modified the ``vectors'' to what FreeBSD wants.

> If we are going down this path, it should be documented that certain
> uses of fbsdboot.exe are no longer supported.

It already is.  We've always said that it's a bit tacky, since it has
to interface to an uncooperative environment.

Greg