Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 02:31:15 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let 3.x die ASAP?

> I now :-) I ask you/core/WC to reconsider this decision. I want to
> turn public visibility from 3.x to 4.x before any new 3.x release. I
> am not against a new 3.x release as such, but "The FreeBSD" as seen by
> the public must be 4.x, not 3.x.

Sorry, but this really isn't something I can do.  3.5 has already
essentially been promised and, as you can see, a lot of people don't
agree with your point of view at all and would view this as a very bad
move on my part.

I should also note that this has nothing whatsoever to do with CDROM
sales since I already told Walnut Creek CDROM awhile back that I would
not be doing a CDROM version of 3.5 - it will be a network-only
release.  We have enough work just placing one line of CD products
into the market and the whole 2.2.8/3.x overlap was really difficult
to map onto our existing customer base.  All customers will simply
receive 4.0, 4.1 .. 4.x.

- Jordan