Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 00:35:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Schneider <buster@cats.ucsc.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Subject:   Re: A simple question

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:
> Doug White wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Dave Schneider wrote:
> >
> > >         I was wondering if you could solve a problem for me. I'm trying to
> > > install FreeBSD on my p5 133Mhz. I have two hard drives installed on
> > > different IDE ports, rather than both on one with one master and the other
> > > one slave. I would like to set up DOS on one and UNIX on the other using
> > > the boot manager to choose. After I install UNIX on the 2nd disk, with DOS
> > > on the first, it boots DOS without asking about UNIX. When I Have it set
> > > up the other way around, with UNIX as the 1st disk and DOS as the 2nd the
> > > boot manager comes up but does not have a selection for DOS and both
> > > choices go to UNIX. What do I need to do?
> >
> > Install Booteasy on the first disk.  FreeBSD's sysinstall is a bit stupid
> > when it comes to doing the Right Thing when installing Booteasy -- if you
> > install on the second disk, that's where it goes.
> >
> > Follow these simple instructions:
> >
> > 1.  copy bootinst.exe and boot.bin off the CDROM or ftp site from /tools
> > to your hard disk
> > 2.  run bootinst
> > 3.  Reboot and use.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> This probably will not be enough. You'll need to write the line:
> 1:wd(2,a)/kernel
>
> at the boot prompt to get it to boot. Once you do that, edit your kernel
> configuration file and change the config line to read:
> config kernel root on wd2
>
> rebuild the kernel, install it, and be happy!

	Well, it's better not but still not working. I ran the
bootinst.exe program and got the boot manager working. I then got it to
boot using the 1:wd(1,a)/kernel command. I rebuilt the kernel changing
the config line. All seemed right in the world. When I rebooted it gave
me and error and rebooted again after the following lines:

changing root device to wd1a
panic: can't mount root

I know I changed the config line to the one Nadav sugested. Any help?
thanks