Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 1995 13:52:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Malachai <rsh124@cs.usask.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation Troubles

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.0 (stable) on an Intel 386sx with 4MB
(I know, I know...not "recommended", but I'd like to toy with it first).
I'm installing from floppies and have created the boot.flp raw image (and
the root.flp raw image as well).  The FreeBSD boot starts up fine, but
after I've selected which drivers to disable (and I've tried the default
boot method AND the "-c" option as well), I get this:

npx0: 387 emulator
rootfs is 1000 Kbyte compiled in MFS

I assume that's normal...but this next part likely isn't:

fault virtual address     = 0x0
fault code                = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer       = 0x8: 0xf18c82d
code segment              = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x16
                          = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor flags           = interrupt enables, resume, IOPL = 0
current process           = 1 (swapper)
interrupt mask            = net tty bio
panic: page fault

syncing disks... done

Automatic reboot in 15 seconds -- press a key on the console to abort

Now I'm _sure_ that's not normal :>  There's nothing special or
idiosyncratic about any of my hardware (standard IDE hard drive, 2
floppy drives...everything is run-of-the-mill, never had any troubles
with anything before).  I'm wondering if it's lack of memory or if there
is a flaw in the boot image.  I followed all the steps exactly (did them
twice just to make sure) to create the boot image, and none of the times
has it gone any farther in the installation than that.

Any ideas?  Fixes?

I plan to buy a new machine, but it just won't happen yet :> and I'd like
to get a bit of a feel for FreeBSD, since that's the OS that I plan to
use.

Shawn Halpenny

B. Sc. Computational Science
University of Saskatchewan