Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:22:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Damon Anton Permezel <dap@damon.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk - does it work in 2.2.5R?

"dennis sez: "
> javac is complaining about "libXt.so.6.0". What dependencies are

The JDK port runs equally well (well, poorly, actually) on my 2.2.2-RELEASE
and my 3.0-current.

Looking back to 2.1.6-RELEASE, I see that /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0
is there.  You might try installing XFree86.  No idea what the Xinside
comes with, or any other X11 offering.

If you have /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0, then look into why your loader hints
are not being set correctly.

> there for running the jdk on 2.2.5R, and what are the limitations?
> the install docs are pretty bad.

Sheesh!  You want it ported, you want the source diffs, you want it to
more-or-less work, and now you want install docs?  ;-)

There is an implicit assumption that X11 is installed.  I know it doesn't
make sense for javac to require X11, but that is there for hysterical
reasons, which might also be practical reasons.

I just lost two days of useless debugging due to having changed (accidentally)
the ordering of -lX11 and -lXm on the java programme link invokation.  It
appears that shared libs are somewhat fragile, and I now suspect that this may
be the reason for the hystorical forcing of the X11 dependency.

Now that I understand this, though, I might have a go at seeing what happens
if I remove the X11 dependency on javac.... once I recover the last lost days,
but i'd rather spend time shooting some of these awt-lesstif-interaction bugs.

Cheers,
Damon.