Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 15:09:39 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: Can anyone explain...?

<<On Sun, 24 Nov 1996 09:58:37 +0100 (MET), grog@lemis.de said:

> Of course it makes sense.  How many time zones are there?

wollman@khavrinen(8)$ wc -l zone.tab
     356 zone.tab

...and that's not counting about ten more for changes in Chile,
Argentina, Mongolia, Canada, and Kazakhstan which are coming next
week.

> For that matter, take GMT and UTC.  What are the time zone
> abbreviations for Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, and Indonesia, all of
> which are UTC+8 and don't have summer time?

Singapore Mon Nov 25 04:07:23 SGT 1996
Bangkok Mon Nov 25 03:07:23 ICT 1996
Jakarta Mon Nov 25 03:07:23 JAVT 1996
Kuala_Lumpur Mon Nov 25 04:07:23 MYT 1996

(Note that your assertion is incorrect: Indonesia has three time
zones; Malaysia has two, although they currently observe the same
+08:00 offset even though LMT in Kuala Lumpur is +06:47; Singapore
changed to +08:00 in 1982; and Thailand has been on +07:00 since 1920.)

> But you're changing it from what every other system does.  Sorry, I
> believe this is just plain *wrong*.

No, I'm sorry.  I'm changing it from what certain older systems using
obsolete version of the Arthur Olson timezone database used, to what
all newer systems using the current version of the Arthur Olson
timezone database use.  If you don't like that, take it up with
tz@elsie.nci.nih.gov and be prepared for a loud groan followed by the
words ``Oh no, not again!''.  Frankly I think you should stop whinging
about it.

> Have you thought of coordinating this with other "vendors"?

No, I am taking it directly from THE ONE SINGLE VENDOR of this
information.  Again, if you don't like it, take it up with the
maintainers.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick