Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:57:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to dual boot freebsd, windows98 with 2 disks?

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Jim Arnold wrote:

> Is it even possible to configure a computer to have one disk
> running windoze 98 and the other FreeBSD?

It isn't clear what your asking, but no matter how I read
it, the answer is still "Yes."

> I have scoured usenet and google and have found very little in
> the way of help. i did find one page that claimed
> to know the secret. what i did below was based on that site.
>
> I have two hard drives, ad0 and ad1. ad0 has win98 (uhg) already
> installed. ad0 is 4.3 gig and ad1 is 10gig
>
> I boot from the 4.3 BSD CD, choose standard install, hit the
> space bar to select ad0 which sends me into fdisk. i immediately
> quit out of fdisk and choose to install the freebsd boot manager
> under BootMgr (this is the default selection). i say "ok" and go
> back to the select drives page. i down arrow to ad1 and press the
> space bar which takes me to fdisk for ad1.
>
> i make 4 partitions and then choose q. now i'm back at the
> install boot manager page for ad1. I choose to install the
> freebsd boot manager under BootMgr (this is the default
> selection).

[edit]

> F1 DOS

Looks like you have a bad/missing boot sector (sector 1) on
your second disk (ad1).

> I can't boot into FreeBSD. I have done this install several
> times. once making the root slice of the FreeBSD disk "bootable."
>
> If you are running win98 and freebsd two hard drives please clue
> me into the secret of pounding that vile beast 98 into
> submission. Can't booteasy do the job?

Win98 has nothing to do with it. Read each of the following
and decide what might be right for you.

1. man boot0cfg
2. ExtIPL (http://www.tsden.org/ryutaroh/extipl/)
3. GRUB (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/)